MacConvilles Surveying provide free CPD sessions to firms of designers located in the Southeast of England. We have updated our sessions for 2019. For more information please contact us on 01273 692611 or email us today
CPD1 – Construction Project Management: Variations Management
A variation to a contract is one of the main reasons that a contract can fall into dispute. To avoid this potentially costly delay, issuing, valuing and then managing a variation to a contract properly is extremely important
- Understand the definition of a variation
- Be aware of provisional sums and their consequences
- Apply your knowledge to valuation of variations
- Prepare and value variations
CPD 2 – Design Economics and Cost Planning
Look in detail at how to provide the correct costs to clients, using detailed examples which will help you gain an in-depth understanding of what you need to include and how you need to present this.
- Understand how to present costs to clients
- Develop understanding of how to build up costs
- Looking beyond the drawings
- Avoid the most common mistakes and Pitfalls
CPD 3 – CDM Regulations 2015 – The Why, What and How
From 6 April 2015, every construction project will have to comply with the new CDM 2015 Regulations including domestic clients and smaller projects. This CPD provides an overview of the structure of health and safety law, and how the CDM Regulations fit within this structure.
- understanding of the scope and application of the CDM Regulations 2015
- The responsibilities of the various duty holders.
- Using the general principles of prevention,
- look at real-life and practical examples of how CDM can improve safety by design.
CPD 4 – Letters of intent – what’s the risk?
Letters of intent are often described as “the riskiest way to form a contract” – yet they are heavily used in the construction industry. This seminar reviews the pitfalls of using letters of intent, along with some recent case law and the discuss the legal implications of issuing letters of intent.
CPD 5 – Procurement
- Common Procurement Routes
- Choosing the appropriate procurement route for your construction or infrastructure project
- Assessing and defining how risk is apportioned between contract parties
- Confidently managing the tendering procedures following best practice
CPD 6 – Collateral Warranties & Third Party Rights in Construction
This CPD is relevant to anyone drafting, negotiating or reviewing collateral warranties for construction. This will focus on the practical aspects of dealing with warranties rather than the theory.
- A brief background, structure and status of collateral warranties
- Key obligations
- Design and step-in provisions
- Limitations of liability
- Standard forms v bespoke forms
CPD 7- Party Walls
Part Walls examines procedures and legislation involved in the administration and management of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This CPD is relevant to those who may receive, serve or be involved at various times with Party Wall notices -Architects, Developers, Building Owners, Social Housing, Technical and Management Officers
- The nature and purpose of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 Advice to be given to clients on the application of The Act Serving of notices
- Acceptance of appointments under the Act
- Powers and duties of appointed surveyors
- The surveyorsʼ role
- Challenges to surveyorsʼ decisions